Table of the history of the development
of theOrtrander Eisenhütte (1886 bis 2002)

1886 - 1913
22.07.1886
Erwin Nicolaus buys private plot in the town of Ortrand – a piece of land conveniently well connected, as it was located next to the Böhla-Kraußnitzer road and in close vicinity to the railway station site opened in 1870. On July 2,1886 the engineer submits the drawings and layout of the future metal foundry to the authorities in Ortrand. Carl Nicolaus, a talented mason and carpenter had prepared them for his brother, Erwin Nicolaus. On August 11, 1886 the planned investment proposal was published in the local gazettes.

19.10.1886
On October 19, 1886, just three months after the submission of the application the permit was issued for the iron foundry plant.

03.01.1887
The festive inauguration of the metal foundry took place on January 3,1887. Pastor Auerswald from Ponickau gave the factory God's blessing and people looked forward with great hope to the future prosperity of this new branch of industry for the town of Ortrand.

04.01.1887
The first casting was made on January 4, 1887 – a casting of Emperor Wilhelm l mounted on a horse, it was completely satisfactory.

18.06.1887
The company had already become successful and on June 18, 1887 appliedto extend the metal foundry by 25 m.

01.08.1890
On August 1, 1890 the smelting works choral society"Glückauf" (Good Luck) was founded.

08.09.1890
On September 8, 1890 hopes rose for permission to add a 40 m long art workshop.

22.07,1893
OnJuly 22, 1893 the metal foundry which had got into difficulties following constant expansion plans was deregistered.

02.04.1894
The Elsterwald Local Royal Court advised that a company named Ortrander Eisenhütte had been started on April 2, 1994 with Baron Friedrich von Strombeck and Rudolf Reinshagen, an engineer, as shareholders.

19.01.1895
The foundry began working on January 19, 1895.

24.02.1896
According to their registration on February 24, 1896 for the Saxon Commercial Exhibition in Großenhain, the Ortrander Eisenhütte Company also ran a mechanical workshop, a steam grinding shop and a nickel plating shop.

21.09.1886
A private canteen for the sale of bottled beer, cigars and herrings began trading on the foundry site on September 21,1886.

1899
The main products ofOrtrander Eisenhütte were cast iron ranges, stoves, hob plates, grates, bakery oven doors and to a limited extent, carburising furnaces.

1907
Ortrander Eisenhütte employed about 200 workers and had a branch in Kadern (Baden).

1911
In 1911, Ortrander Eisenhütte was awarded the Grand Prize for the "IDEAL -dish washing and disinfection machine for steam, gas or coal heating" at the International Culinary Art Exhibition in Frankfurt am Main.

1913
Ortrander Eisenhütte was awarded the gold medal at the Leipzig Exhibition in 1913.